It is currently Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:26 am

Re: Formula 1 Grand Prix #2

Talk it up about competitions, cups, races, and tournaments.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

• Author

max tre

Community User Level: 1

PostThu Aug 02, 2018 12:48 pm

The last time somebody tried a thing like that, it didn't end well - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdsJTrqz764
Just saying, be ready for some extra-pit.

Mike Nike

Community User Level: 5

PostThu Aug 02, 2018 3:48 pm

In case somebody is out there who is making his startfuel% dependent on the race total time of last year: Tijny and I agreed to drive a fast first lap and then both enter pits, have a short tea party with the crew and then go back on track and catch up the field.

edit:
damn, that video looks horrible :E

Oompa

Community User Level: 2

PostFri Aug 03, 2018 8:04 am

If you purists feel its ok then do it, but if you start last to have 'a challenge' i can't promise not to wait and take you assholes out. Do your best pls. Its up to us to catch you guys and be better. I do think it would be a fun unknown factor but my guess is you will be front in ten laps. Maybe I decide to ruin my race to keep you guys at bay and give win to Azev.

Tijny

PostFri Aug 03, 2018 9:08 am

Oompa wrote:If you purists feel its ok then do it, but if you start last to have 'a challenge' i can't promise not to wait and take you assholes out. (...)

Hey, don't be such a sourpuss, it wasn't even our idea! Everyone else was saying how much fun this would be and we are just happy to oblige.

Azev

PostFri Aug 03, 2018 9:53 am

Oompa wrote:If you purists feel its ok then do it, but if you start last to have 'a challenge' i can't promise not to wait and take you assholes out. Do your best pls. Its up to us to catch you guys and be better. I do think it would be a fun unknown factor but my guess is you will be front in ten laps. Maybe I decide to ruin my race to keep you guys at bay and give win to Azev.

It's not about the win. I mean, in the end it is, but the races where I had more fun, where the ones I had problems and had to catch up with everyone. Would I prefer not to have problems and finish in a better place? Sure! Would it be more fun? No.

Oompa

PostFri Aug 03, 2018 11:52 am

Sorry I was mean. I was overcome by recalcitrantness. If you guys go into the pits I will try to stay in the way so you guys have to go on. Remember I want to win every cup and cry when I don't. Imagine my tears over the years. Besides, Elemterejkejfe is not my best track. See you guys's fastass times for crying out loud.

Its my pride talking, stelletje spelbedervers! You do whatever you want
I guess I have to approach it like a chicane and crash a million times before I realize there IS no chicane!

pablinho15

PostFri Aug 03, 2018 4:48 pm

It is the only car race game where the fastest lap is "playing" with the grass. The car is fantastic but that is very disappointing. For my part, the f1 is over. bye.

Whiplash

PostFri Aug 03, 2018 5:34 pm

Yeah: T and Mike ruin the fun.

power79

Community User Level: 3

PostSat Aug 04, 2018 1:02 am

Here is Merged video of Top2 grasshoppers at the moment:
Top2.tsr
Princess Tinja 1:18.856
[x] Mike Nike 1:18.927

Sector 1 Time

1. [x] Mike Nike 28.120 sec. (Lap 2) Enter Speed: 274,2 Exit Speed: 276,0
2. Princess Tinja 28.202 sec. (Lap 4) Enter Speed: 274,4 Exit Speed: 275,8

Sector 2 Time

1. Princess Tinja 24.004 sec. (Lap 4) Enter Speed: 275,8 Exit Speed: 307,9
2. [x] Mike Nike 24.131 sec. (Lap 2) Enter Speed: 276,0 Exit Speed: 305,4

Sector 3 Time

1. Princess Tinja 26.650 sec. (Lap 4) Enter Speed: 307,9 Exit Speed: 275,3
2. [x] Mike Nike 26.676 sec. (Lap 2) Enter Speed: 305,4 Exit Speed: 273,9

Mike Nike

PostSat Aug 04, 2018 3:13 am

~1.18.32x reachable! Thx for the merge, power!

@Oompa's issue
Also here, I'd feel fine to respect other drivers opinions (that was one of the arguments "against" the falling-back-experiment, i was talking about).
Simple math speaking: if the fun for T and me increases by 20%, but for 1 driver the fun decreases from 100% to just 50%, then .. in this case, I would prefer to drive normal and skip the experiment.
But I'd still hunt records in a FCC server though, while all others are rough racing for the race win xD (dede sometimes got a bit mad, I don't participate seriously). Unless it would be a reason to get banned by server rules, of course.

pablinho15 wrote:It is the only car race game where the fastest lap is "playing" with the grass. The car is fantastic but that is very disappointing. For my part, the f1 is over. bye.

We could forbid to cut on grass (for the race and even for the qualification, if you want). T would have a 1.19.06x, me currently a 1.19.165 or so - so it would not change anything. Not sure about other players though.
Maybe let's vote for future races, Elemtere including, if grasscutting etc. is allowed or not ...or just let the organizer decide?
If the community and/or the organizer wants more realism in the TSF1 season, then this seems like something we could agree on.
Anyway, I like that people get creative "tricky" with cuts, such as Tijny when wallbouncing (to break) with Speeder in Fewdoll or using the hay as wall in Forestry. T got so fast in Elemtere, it made me get creative and find out 2 more grasscuts - which I already knew, but did not know they were faster, yet.
That's being said: I feel like I wanna talk about a secret I've kept for years :D ....@T: nice rec in Kurkorator (22.70 or so, trying to beat my 22.60ish) with Speeder - your line I could only drive 22.80ish "slow", but I was already kinda proud of it, actually. Luckily I found out a tree bounce in turn 2. So: although finding out cuts and using them well is part of a special skill, actually...I still feel like the record most likely should belong to you here, considering your sick fast "normal" lap.

Kid Masters

PostSat Aug 04, 2018 4:25 am

Pls post T's keyboard while driving his fastest lap on youtube :D

Tijny

PostSat Aug 04, 2018 4:31 am

Mike Nike wrote:We could forbid to cut on grass (for the race and even for the qualification, if you want). T would have a 1.19.06x, me currently a 1.19.165 or so - so it would not change anything. Not sure about other players though.
Maybe let's vote for future races, Elemtere including, if grasscutting etc. is allowed or not ...or just let the organizer decide?

I would be 100% in favor of that. I didn't want to use the grass cheats at first, but you got so fast that I sort of felt I had to. (and, admittedly I ended up taking a strange liking to it, even if something about it didn't sit right with me...)
The thing is that you can't blame us for taking advantage of something the track gives us, especially when there are no written rules about it and Whip just seemed to tolerate it for the most part.

Kid Masters wrote:Pls post T's keyboard while driving his fastest lap on youtube :D

I can't, I'd have to record it live which I didn't do on this occasion.

Oompa

PostSun Aug 05, 2018 6:10 am

Given the preciseness of the game, cutting the grass feels kind of sad. Maybe we could make the grass more unforgiving. We could also increase damage maybe?

Well, you start in the back if you want. We'll adjust. We have to :)

Cutting the grass is like using a forbidden weapon that the enemy then starts to use as well. If unchecked, this will culminate in widespread genocide with nuclear weapons. One doesn't want that, does one?

Whiplash

PostSun Aug 05, 2018 1:30 pm

Oompa wrote:Given the preciseness of the game, cutting the grass feels kind of sad. Maybe we could make the grass more unforgiving. We could also increase damage maybe?

Cutting won't be useful during the race already. When tyre wear is enabled, driving over sand, grass etc. damage your tyres up to 20x more than usual. When braking, it damges 2x more and and when braking with smoke, it causes 50x more damage (40x when sliding).

Tijny

PostSun Aug 05, 2018 2:03 pm

Whiplash wrote:
Oompa wrote:Given the preciseness of the game, cutting the grass feels kind of sad. Maybe we could make the grass more unforgiving. We could also increase damage maybe?

Cutting won't be useful during the race already. When tyre wear is enabled, driving over sand, grass etc. damage your tyres up to 20x more than usual. When braking, it damges 2x more and and when braking with smoke, it causes 50x more damage (40x when sliding).

No, this is a way bigger issue than you're suggesting.

Yes, you do suffer 50% more tyre damage per lap, but given the choice between that or being straight up 0.2-0.3 slower per lap, because that's the scale we're talking about, I'm not sure you're necessarily worse off by cutting. I'd argue it's going to be really close. Thinking about it, the best option is probably to stay on the road during the first few laps of your stint, and to "play with the grass" in the final few laps before pitting/finishing so you get fast laptimes without suffering the long-term consequences.
There's also the possibility to use it for overtaking; a very slight bit of tyre damage is a small price to pay if it allows you to take a corner fast enough to get past someone in front of you.

Still, I will try to stay on the tarmac this race, and I hope everyone else will do the same.

Esteban Tuero

PostSun Aug 05, 2018 5:25 pm

Give my position to KidMasters cause was giving his position to Badoer for fairplay

Kid Masters

PostSun Aug 05, 2018 5:28 pm

NP we create a dangerous previous with a move like that, next time i'll try to be more smart.

power79

Azev

PostMon Aug 06, 2018 4:16 am

Hard race! Lot's of tough battles, especially with Lemon and Jormelli. Had to go to a 3 stop strategy, because I went out several times on that fast mid section, damaging tires.

Oompa, those first laps where weird! I hit you one time because you almost stoped on track. Being too cautious?

I don't understand my fuel consumption. Why am I always a big spender? :mrgreen:

Oh, and on my first pit, I only stoped when I hit that orange thing, in the pit end. I guess I have a problem with pits. :lol:

Tijny

PostMon Aug 06, 2018 5:20 am

Oh yes, lots of battles indeed! But we really brought that on ourselves, didn't we? Nah, let's just go with the explanation that me and Mike got a stop and go penalty for cheating in qualifying.

Really interesting to make our way to the front like that, unsurprisingly Lewy was the one who gave me the most trouble, causing the lionshare of my 10% damage in the beginning of the race. I liked how I never lost sight of Mike, strengthening the idea that we were basically partners in crime through all of that. I also love how we were the ones who sustained the least damage in total, even though we had to overtake literally everyone at least once.
Still, the damage was enough for me to stop after 13 laps instead of the usual 15; Mike agreed with that strategy, and went on to pass me in the pitlane because pitting is never my speciality.

Mike then had a few struggles and a bit of bad luck with Jormeli and Azev, causing him some damage and allowing me to catch up a bit. The next lap, lap 17, I made what I consider to be the key move in the race: I overtook Mike in a really nice, clean way, which I actually prepared by getting good exit speed from the hairpin two turns earlier. From that point onwards, I had to say goodbye to Mike and I gradually built my lead on him.

Then came the next challenge, or so I thought, which was Oompa. After my pitstop in lap 29 he had around 17 seconds on me, so he had the understandably tempting but still catastrophically stupid idea to try and drive that lead home without coming in again. When he realized that strategy wasn't going to fly, he had already lost too much time on spent tyres and even exited the pitlane behind Mike.
With a "normal" strategy, Oompa would've had 5 seconds on me after the last pitstop. I would've had to close the gap first, which I probably could've done but not easily, then I would've needed to fight him mano a mano and overtake him with the few laps that remained. Shame it didn't come to that!

Mike Nike

PostMon Aug 06, 2018 5:50 am

Lovely stats again :)

Falling back to the end of the field did cost Tijny and me around 25-30 seconds in comparison to the somewhat expected race-total-time.
Tijny, together with Jormeli and Enrico were sleeping at the start. And Silvas internet connection was having a winter sleep.
Looking at "Tyre Wear / lap", it looks like team [x] is running on low budget and had to safe their last good tyres, before they could buy new ones from the prizes of place 2 and 4 in Air's garage.
Looking at collisions and overtakings, Tijny seemed to have more bad luck than me. His constant and strong pace gave him a very well deserved race win. Once he had a little lead, he flew away. I could hardly have a single faster lap in comparison. The 2 fastest laps are also showing well that the pace has likely improved to last season - although we did not use any cuts.
Pitting time: yet another 1st place in average pitting time: yay! :)
But: top2 times go to Kid Masters for using the wall-break-"cheat" in pits.
I thought we agreed that this move is forbidden, but by quickly checking the rules, I could not see any entry of it. Maybe I've overseen something?

All in all: the experiment with the fallback in lap 1 was an exciting experiment. I enjoyed it quite well. And would probably do it again. An alternative experiment could be: T and I both have to stop minimum 3 times or both 4 times.

I also love how we were the ones who sustained the least damage in total, even though we had to overtake literally everyone at least once

Indeed, right!? :D

Mike then had a few struggles and a bit of bad luck with Jormeli and Azev, causing him some damage and allowing me to catch up a bit. The next lap, lap 17, I made what I consider to be the key move in the race: I overtook Mike in a really nice, clean way, which I actually prepared by getting good exit speed from the hairpin two turns earlier. From that point onwards, I had to say goodbye to Mike and I gradually built my lead on him.

Well summarized! Totally agree again. I saw a possibility of roughly closing the door there by moving fast to the right, but in the end, I wouldn't have any serious chance vs that pace with so many laps to go, I think.

Kid Masters

PostMon Aug 06, 2018 6:00 am

Ops, i've never heard about we prohibited that strategy in pits. I agree its a weird move and probably not fair so i will not do it in next races. Sorry guys

Mike Nike

PostMon Aug 06, 2018 6:06 am

That rule (if it was one) was at least 2 F1 seasons ago.
So, depending on when you started with TS, you probably cannot even know about this.
Actually, I like that you were so creative to do it.
But it might be a risky strategy, depending on your zoom and with possible pitting cars in front.
And if we are preferring f1 realism, we also might need to skip using this move.

Tijny

PostMon Aug 06, 2018 6:24 am

Mike Nike wrote:I saw a possibility of roughly closing the door there by moving fast to the right, but in the end, I wouldn't have any serious chance vs that pace with so many laps to go, I think.
You probably could have blocked me, but that likely would have caused a collision and at the very least you would not have felt right doing it. :) I also had a bit of an advantage there because my car wasn't damaged at all, but I was more damaged in the early part so I guess you're right that overall I did have a slight edge in terms of speed and consistency. I did notice a number of times that you struggled a bit to hit the acceleration point in the hairpins, which surprised me somewhat.

Mike Nike wrote:All in all: the experiment with the fallback in lap 1 was an exciting experiment. I enjoyed it quite well. And would probably do it again. An alternative experiment could be: T and I both have to stop minimum 3 times or both 4 times.

I like it, but I think I would prefer 4 stops in that case because I don't think 3 is necessarily that much of a handicap. Some other challenge runs I can think of include starting with 100% fuel, or alternatively starting with maybe 2% less than the agreed-upon "ideal" amount. I quite like those as well. :)

Mike Nike

PostMon Aug 06, 2018 6:50 am

Just now I remember that my sound volume was quite low in order to hear sector data and listen to youtube videos during qualification races. That might have had an additional bad effect on my pace. But compared to my local practice at +-21 CET, where I managed to get quite solid laps and found out good thumb rules for breaking points, I missed a heavily amount of apexes in the race as well. Probably the 2-3 qualification cups before the race made me forget about them a bit and therefore the slightly worse than expected performance. But yeah, I also did not start accelerating early enough, from time to time. I remember that I started to focus for tight good curves when you drove 1.21.1 laps in stint 2 while I was turtling around with 1.21.6 laps. But that focus did not hold on for very long.

4 stops AND 2% more fuel than I would normally need sounds good. With my fuel consumption, I will still have a slight advantage though - as nearly always - but that's alright, I guess. In last race, I even tried to use more fuel in 2-3 chicanes, so I would have a lighter car on average, but it feels better if we both just drive our "normal" style and do not try to use more fuel than normal on occasion. That way we both won't face any fuel saving troubles, which was quite relaxing last race, I have to admit :D ...although at 10.99% fuel remaining, I had a minute of questioning...
PreviousNext

Return to Competitions