It is currently Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:05 am

Re: Formula 1 Grand Prix #2

Talk it up about competitions, cups, races, and tournaments.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

• Author

Whiplash

Community User Level: 5

PostSat Jul 07, 2018 6:10 pm

My bad, sorry. But, in-game ranking is the one that is directly counted anyway. :wink:

Kid Masters

Community User Level: 1

PostSun Jul 08, 2018 4:49 am

I know but i know if i m in only watching the classification here on the site...

Blister-

PostSun Jul 08, 2018 2:21 pm

I know you people voted about it but these races start at very late. Starts at midnight my time and lasts an hour. Some of us have to get up early and go to work next morning!

Whiplash

PostSun Jul 08, 2018 3:05 pm

Blister- wrote:I know you people voted about it but these races start at very late. Starts at midnight my time and lasts an hour. Some of us have to get up early and go to work next morning!

Sorry, but we really can't do nothing about it. Second best voted option was even 1 hour later than it's now. :wink:

Whiplash

PostSun Jul 08, 2018 6:21 pm

First race is over: standings are updated, video is uploaded. Congratulations to Mike!

1. [x] Mike Nike 50
2. Princess Tinja 45
3. X X X 42
4. [x] Whiplash 40
5. Jormeli 38
6. C. Sainz Jr 2.0 36
7. Alexander Wurz 34
8. Lemon 33
9. Azev 32
10. Luca Badoer 31
11. Silva 30
12. Kid Masters 29
13. Esteban Tuero 28
14. Astunce 27
15. Felipe AncaMassa 26
16. pazzomimi 25
17. Laf 24
18. Jaykoq 23
19. [FTR]ftronic 22
20. TDi_Gol_v8 21

power79

Community User Level: 3

PostMon Jul 09, 2018 1:36 am

Race Stats:
Race Stats(Drosovce-short)

Damage Report:
Damage Report(Drosovce-short)

Overtake list:
Overtake List(Drosovce-short)

Blue Flags:
Blue Flags(Drosovce-short)

There are some oddities but they are mostly because TDi_Gol_v8 didn't finish first lap. That is probably why Kid Masters is two times at the start fuel stat and Lemon at the Lapped Cars list. Let me know if there are some other errors. I don't have time right now but i'll try to fix them at some point.

Azev

Community User Level: 2

PostMon Jul 09, 2018 4:05 am

I don't know what happened at the start... I got "Server restarted. Reconnect?" Silva and laf with disconnects too, weird...

In the end, only lost 2 places so, it could have been worse. Had a fun race, always trying to catch someone!

Tijny

PostMon Jul 09, 2018 5:00 am

Azev wrote:I don't know what happened at the start... I got "Server restarted. Reconnect?" Silva and laf with disconnects too, weird...

It's a known bug, sometimes the server restart causes problems for some players. I believe this happens when an admin forces the server to restart while people are still loading a track. If you look closely, you will still see a track preview image after joining the new cup, which should not be there in the registration phase. If you notice anything strange like that in the future, or if you see that you're not loading the track when you should be, reconnect and everything will be fine.

As for my race, it seems I may have been slightly overconfident. I saw that I could put some distance into Mike in the first few laps, but instead I freewheeled somewhat just so I wouldn't have a lonely race like last week. Then, at the first pitstop I decided to challenge myself even more by stopping one lap later, knowing Mike would probably take the lead. Soon after, I realized that even though my pace was slightly better than his, he was improving as the race went on and it was extremely difficult to get close enough to make a move on him, in no small part due to the dirty air effect. Staying within 1 second and hoping for a mistake on his part was the best I could do, but in the end I was the one who made a few slight errors and Mike defended himself phenomenally well with very consistent driving. (offroad time 0.000?! :shock:) Hats off, really well done!

Absolutely no regrets about the way I went about my race, we had a really exciting battle between the two of us which is ultimately what it should be all about. :)

Azev

PostMon Jul 09, 2018 6:56 am

Tijny wrote:
Azev wrote:I don't know what happened at the start... I got "Server restarted. Reconnect?" Silva and laf with disconnects too, weird...

It's a known bug, sometimes the server restart causes problems for some players. I believe this happens when an admin forces the server to restart while people are still loading a track. If you look closely, you will still see a track preview image after joining the new cup, which should not be there in the registration phase. If you notice anything strange like that in the future, or if you see that you're not loading the track when you should be, reconnect and everything will be fine.

Ah! I was seeing everyody ready for the race, except me. When someone asked "who's sleeping?", it was me, but that made no sense. Next time I'll quit and come back, thx for the explanation.

Tijny

PostMon Jul 09, 2018 7:28 am

Azev wrote:Ah! I was seeing everyody ready for the race, except me. When someone asked "who's sleeping?", it was me, but that made no sense. Next time I'll quit and come back, thx for the explanation.

Right, but it wasn't just you, Silva and Laf had the same problem. Do you think that without /muteall being used so heavily, you would have said that something was wrong? Because in that case, we would have been able to figure out and solve the problem quite easily. That could be something to consider for us as well.

Mike Nike

PostMon Jul 09, 2018 9:25 am

Tijny wrote:Mike defended himself phenomenally well with very consistent driving. (offroad time 0.000?! :shock:) Hats off, really well done!

Thanks a lot!
0.000 sounds a bit too sick though, although it might not be a bug.
I did cut the sand from time to time in the top part of the track - almost always on purpose.
Also, I went slightly offroad a few times in the very fast middle part - which slowed me down a little. Probably so short, it did not count as significantly being offroad in power's stats, just like at the top part. Which is okay, I think. Maybe a note stating "*Offroad times under 0.05 seconds not included" or something similar could be added, because people like me forget the tolerance value from one season to the next.

My race week: (bit longer this time because I do not want to forget some parts, in case I make a 3d video of this or someone else makes a video and likes to use comments to somehow use as material)

Qualification:
Silva, typical, with a fast first hot lap (1.29.3), which I could beat soon after (1.29.002), while Silva could not improve that much anymore. Tijny went for a quick high 1.28.8 to take the lead, soon followed by a strong 1.28.50x. I soon followed with a 1.28.565 in lap 20 of 20 of my first and only local record hunt for the qualification track. But most of the weekdays I was in love with the "dark" parallel hunt of records in the Grand HotLap Challenge with the modified default cars instead. Being gone for the weekend and with 3 hours left, Tijny already had a 1.28.4x in his pocket and an impressive consistency that smashed any expectations of fighting for a race win away. The test race was already an insane indication of how overwhelming Tijnys domination will likely be. Although Badeend not being there lowered the motivation by quite a bit.
My first 6 lap race was horrible slow - being super tired (22-01 CET current fall asleep time), made me get weird visual warps (4 in one curve once) and I was wondering if Tijny would win by over 30 seconds this time. My worries were actually that I could lose my second place to Jurgen this time and maybe, with some bad luck, not even get second start place. But soon my pace got better and Tijny could fly away slightly less race by race, giving me something like hope, he won't have an easy race win. Luckily I went for the funny 1.28.882 (-0.001 to Badeend) and could go for a local test race in order to find out startfuel. I drove 20 laps - so horribly slow and careless and full of mistakes, I should burn the replay :D
Not being sure, if 91% startfuel will be enough, I luckily decided to take this 1% advantage vs Tijny, thus giving us more chances to have a more exciting race. Weirdly, I even had one lap later in the quali server with a chance to get the pole, but it was probably more than fine messing it up. Just the huge difference to place 2 laptime was looking ugly.
Having heard, Tijny did only 10 local laps though, I was hoping that he does not experience the weird lines you have when driving on bad tyres. And this could be an advantage in the upcoming race. So: a little piece of hope to win the race was born here. Too little though - it still sounded ridiculous.

The Race:
As expected, I put my concentration on the fight vs Jurgen and after a short battle with him in the first lap(s), I could concentrate on making somewhat okayish laps in order to create a little gap - which was not easy and did not always work as hoped. Also, with me and Jurgen battling, Tijny flew away, as expected and I expected to never see him close to my nose again. But a few laps in the race, Tijny seemed to try too hard and gone offroad or so from time to time. And then flew away again slightly. But not as fast as expected. And there I had a bit of a challenge: to keep a solid pace and reduce the pace difference from 0.5-1 sec (lol, that's what I thought would be the case) to a respectable 0.1-0.2 (0.3 would have still been okay though). At some point, my challenge was to not let Tijny get out of my view in the main straight. With Tijny pitting at end of lap 14 instead of 13, I was not sure if I would come out in front, but weirdly I did and also with quite an unexpected high gap - which was soon eaten up though. So: Tijny with better tyres, a better pace, but still slightly more fuel, likely. With a lot of luck, I could defend the unexpected lead, I hoped and would probably see Tijny pitting a lap earlier (end of lap 26), so I would be the one chasing in last stint and would need a few fast early laps in order to keep close enough to force him into a more safe pace instead of a riskier, but in average faster pace and therefore keep winning chances alive. But Tijny chose the probably more challenging way and pit at the end of lap 27, just like me.
While in stint 2 I had to do a lot of safety defending lines, always caring to enter 3 long straights in a way, Tijny would have troubles passing me, I had a little lead entering stint 3 somehow. The fight of being ahead just a bit more than the draft zone, was quite a challenge. In a lot of straights. In many cases I felt the need to drive a weird line, changing road sides, just in order to avoid giving Tijny bonus air.
In stint 3 I therefore wanted to reduce the number of attacks I would need to defend and keep a fast pace, so Tijny would not close up as fast and with some luck he would feel forced of pushing harder and end up in going offroad somewhere, but he hardly ever gone offroad as well. And I checked in the back mirror a lot of times, especially at the left long "straight". Oh right, once in stint 2 I actually planned to give him "bad air" troubles in the fast sector, which went well. Handling the draft behind is tough, I think and a tiny mistake can cost quite a lot of time before long straights. Maybe I could have used this method a bit more often, but it felt risky and weird slowing down in a situation I have not been in a lot of times. My guess is, sides switched, I would have failed quite bigtime compared to Tijny. He, despite my weird early and overlong breaking times, did almost never crash into me or lost crazily much time due to the bad air. So: his "bad air"/"draft" handling is already on a strong level, I can currently only dream of, I'm afraid.
The more laps into the race, the more likely I saw the possibility of winning the race coming up, but even with the early big gap in stint 3, it did not feel too convincing just yet. But it was enough to turn from "no win expectations and no pressure" (as soon as my lead to Jurgen was big enough), into a more frequently pumping chest. Which usually makes me do more mistakes, but surprisingly, I did not lose focus a lot of times, this race. +- lap 38, having quite a gap that would force Tijny into a very strong mistakeless pace made me start to feel: now I might have to win and if I do not, I messed it up and it was my stupidity. Therefore I felt I had only something to lose and this is the part where the pressure hits in and either makes me drive too safe and therefore too slow or where I make mistakes. As consequence, I did a wide curve due to missing a breaking point, allowing Tijny to close the gap to almost draft zone. In addition, I had 10% fuel left short after curve 1 with almost full 5 laps to go, fearing a fuel problem coming up. And it did. In the middle of the last lap, the fuel switched to "0%" (so: 0.99%) and I started to count the seconds, basically just hoping it would be enough and if I could see it might not, then start saving fuel in the last curves. But I realized that it might be too late then, so after some curves, I started saving fuel a bit earlier. Luckily, I did! Because on the very last straight, my car started to roll out. Luckily short before the finish line. 1-2 seconds earlier and Tijny would have caught me. And another 2-3 seconds earlier and I would have been down to +-8th place :E

Interesting and exciting race. I did not make too many serious mistakes, defended quite solid and had a fast pace in addition. Also I did not just always hope for the lapped cars to magically drive in a way that I can keep my ideal line and backed off for some safety breaks and/or steerings in some cases. At some point of the race, I was kinda proud of that and did not mind that much if it would not turn out to be enough to win the race. Showing a good performance would be enough and whatever happens, happens. Winning a race, while not having the fastest pace and getting a couple of gifts (T's lack of race practice maybe, the early spectating cruising by T and the late pitting and Badeend not taking part), is not the greatest kind of race win feeling, but luck comes and goes, so I'll hopefully value this race win correctly: not taking too seriously, but still not underestimating my own performance, which was refreshingly surprising solid. Tijny winning by 0-3 seconds would have been probably already a great result, I could have lived with very well and would still be amazed by the tension of the race.

Next race:
Maybe if I practice more for the next race, I will have more hope to win and have more fear to show a bad performance and therefore feel way more excited in case I would win. Which I don't, on next track, yet :D ...but maybe I improve my line and consistency, so hopes are gonna rise up :)

Azev

PostMon Jul 09, 2018 1:40 pm

Tijny wrote:
Azev wrote:Ah! I was seeing everyody ready for the race, except me. When someone asked "who's sleeping?", it was me, but that made no sense. Next time I'll quit and come back, thx for the explanation.

Right, but it wasn't just you, Silva and Laf had the same problem. Do you think that without /muteall being used so heavily, you would have said that something was wrong? Because in that case, we would have been able to figure out and solve the problem quite easily. That could be something to consider for us as well.

I really don't know! I was able to read the message, but being able to write something is another thing... I would have tried, for sure!

power79

PostMon Jul 09, 2018 3:21 pm

Mike Nike wrote:0.000 sounds a bit too sick though, although it might not be a bug.
I did cut the sand from time to time in the top part of the track - almost always on purpose.
Also, I went slightly offroad a few times in the very fast middle part - which slowed me down a little. Probably so short, it did not count as significantly being offroad in power's stats, just like at the top part. Which is okay, I think. Maybe a note stating "*Offroad times under 0.05 seconds not included" or something similar could be added, because people like me forget the tolerance value from one season to the next.

Sorry about that. I had forgotten this myself too. Apparently the treshold is 0.5s. I think I did some testing last year and this was the number that dropped all the intentional cuttings from the stats(from all tracks, I don't have time to test and change it for every race). I can try smaller tresholds if 0.5s feels too forgivable.

Azev

PostTue Jul 10, 2018 12:15 pm

Tijny wrote:Do you think that without /muteall being used so heavily, you would have said that something was wrong? Because in that case, we would have been able to figure out and solve the problem quite easily. That could be something to consider for us as well.

Can you change the script to do muteall only after the race starts? That way we can see if one can write, when (if) that happens again.

Whiplash

PostTue Jul 10, 2018 2:10 pm

Azev wrote:Can you change the script to do muteall only after the race starts? That way we can see if one can write, when (if) that happens again.

Let's not complicate things. It's much easier for you just to join the server at the right time. If you join it in a moment of restart, just rejoin it and you're safe.

Azev

PostTue Jul 10, 2018 4:13 pm

Whiplash wrote:
Azev wrote:Can you change the script to do muteall only after the race starts? That way we can see if one can write, when (if) that happens again.

Let's not complicate things. It's much easier for you just to join the server at the right time. If you join it in a moment of restart, just rejoin it and you're safe.

Whip? What are you talking about? Haven't you read the other posts? :lol:

Whiplash

PostTue Jul 10, 2018 4:20 pm

Ah, it's for debugging purposes. Whatever then.

power79

PostFri Jul 13, 2018 3:23 am

Here is Merged video of Top2 times at the moment:
Top2.tsr
Princess Tinja 1:04.840
[x] Mike Nike 1:05.160

Whiplash

PostSun Jul 15, 2018 6:25 pm

Stats updated, video uploaded. Congrats to Tinky Winky.

Race:
I watched race for a bit, and saw Ayrton's and Augusto's performance. Some of you Italians should explain Ayrton the rules. Just tell him to download and watch the tsr video and focus on top players to see how it should be done. For now we'll stay at verbal warning. Augusto wasn't that unfair until Ayrton smacked him. Then he started to hit the others mostly to avoid hits from behind. But it was still very unfair driving.

I did a pretty nasty hit on Mike in first turn. I simply wasn't pay attention to cars in front of me while defending my position. But in the end I saw I didn't actually affect the top duel that much.
During the race I felt pretty weird about my pace. Jormeli stucked twice and still managed to catch me up. Sure, I lost some time driving behind Magnam, but it still can't explain the whole slowness.

power79

Tijny

PostMon Jul 16, 2018 7:00 am

Whiplash wrote:But in the end I saw I didn't actually affect the top duel that much.

I'm not sure about that. Mike got stuck in traffic in the first few laps, allowing me to easily drive away, also because I sustained less damage than he did. If he had kept his lead with zero damage taken and it was me who was battling for P2, the race would have looked completely different. Mike was able to gain a bit of time on me in stint 2 after all, when our cars were equally fast. Not sure what happened to him in the final few laps, he lost like 10-12 seconds there? All I know is that the final score of him being 26 seconds down was not a fair representation of our respective performances.

Alexander Wurz

PostMon Jul 16, 2018 7:27 am

Tijny wrote:
Whiplash wrote:But in the end I saw I didn't actually affect the top duel that much.

I'm not sure about that. Mike got stuck in traffic in the first few laps, allowing me to easily drive away, also because I sustained less damage than he did. If he had kept his lead with zero damage taken and it was me who was battling for P2, the race would have looked completely different. Mike was able to gain a bit of time on me in stint 2 after all, when our cars were equally fast. Not sure what happened to him in the final few laps, he lost like 10-12 seconds there? All I know is that the final score of him being 26 seconds down was not a fair representation of our respective performances.

In the last few laps was not lapping cars ahead of him. Saw him letting Badoer go despite being faster than him.

Tijny

PostMon Jul 16, 2018 7:47 am

Ah ok, that sounds like something Mike would do. :) I wanted to see how my finishing time would compare to last year, so I just kept going, otherwise I might have opted to stay behind you and Carlos as well.

Me qualifying for next weekend:

https://youtu.be/TCecGjCY1mY

Azev

PostMon Jul 16, 2018 8:49 am

I found out yesterday that going to the boxes fixes your car damage :lol:
Still made 4 laps with 45% damage, I'm glad I stopped "just to see if it fixes something".

I was not abble to battle with Magnam, Carlos, Wurz, Badoer, Silva and Laf, but still had some fun with Kid, Esteban, Max and Augusto. Nope, not Augusto.

Made the 2nd best lap while trying to catch Whip and Jor, to "unlap" 8)
And about this, I have a question. If I catched them, should I try to overtake? Should I stay back?

Alexander Wurz

PostMon Jul 16, 2018 9:52 am

Azev wrote:And about this, I have a question. If I catched them, should I try to overtake? Should I stay back?

Technically it's really hard to have a stiuation like that even in standard races. But in that case, depends whether if the lapped car has a way way better pace than the car ahead.
PreviousNext

Return to Competitions