It is currently Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:35 am

Things that would be cool to see...

Talk about your ideas, rants, raves, technical issues, and problems.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

• Author

WinstonCup426

Things that would be cool to see...

PostWed Aug 08, 2018 6:24 pm

- An option to have a certain AI player only use a certain car. Would be a great thing to have for people that want to make real-life cars/drivers down the line.

- Default AI lines for a track, which can be used by any car (while still having the option to make custom ones for specific cars). Similar games to TS, like GeneRally, have one AI line, so while every car works on every track, they might overshoot turns or not get to the pits because the AI lines weren't made for them. This would be a satisfying medium between the two methods, if it could be done.

- Crowd ambience during a race.

Whiplash

Community User Level: 5

Re: Things that would be cool to see...

PostThu Aug 09, 2018 8:32 am

WinstonCup426 wrote:- An option to have a certain AI player only use a certain car. Would be a great thing to have for people that want to make real-life cars/drivers down the line.

- Default AI lines for a track, which can be used by any car (while still having the option to make custom ones for specific cars). Similar games to TS, like GeneRally, have one AI line, so while every car works on every track, they might overshoot turns or not get to the pits because the AI lines weren't made for them. This would be a satisfying medium between the two methods, if it could be done.

- Crowd ambience during a race.

I'll write down your suggestions. About the second one - I don't see a big sense of having cars with different properties and just one type of driving lines.
But, if you have few cars with the same properties (and different looks), I guess there is a trick to make one set of driving lines for all of them. I think you just need to copy the driving lines file and change the name of the car in it.

Rendy Andrian

Community User Level: 2

PostFri Aug 10, 2018 11:23 pm

I do think the default AI lines would result in a lesser time doing AI laps with different cars which might be a good idea IMO, but I might be the only one racing with different set of cars lol

Or maybe I thought of this one: keep the AI lap function as usual but instead of having many laps for a particular car, each car can have one driving lap each. The track's default AI line can be used for all cars but can be overridden if another car has its own AI line there, meaning that the second car will use that new line instead of the default one.

Hope I can explain this one well.

Tijny

PostSat Aug 11, 2018 7:09 am

I agree that it would be cool to see, but it's not compatible with the way the game works. Every AI lap has a list of nodes with car states at various points, which the game tries to follow exactly - that is, it looks at the position, speed and rotation it needs to have at these nodes and adjusts its input accordingly. The problem is that with different cars, these variables and particularly the speeds are going to be so wildly dissimilar that generalizing them for all cars would result in extremely poor quality driving by the AI. It's quite a shame, because this particular drawback severely limits the usefulness of AI bots.

Hmm, I just thought of a project that might not actually be completely impossible: take a track and a path that needs to be followed, and programmatically generate the AI data given a particular car's properties. Hmm²....

Whiplash

PostSat Aug 11, 2018 9:26 am

Tijny wrote:Hmm, I just thought of a project that might not actually be completely impossible: take a track and a path that needs to be followed, and programmatically generate the AI data given a particular car's properties. Hmm²....

Sounds sick. But, lines should also be variated.

Rendy Andrian

PostSun Aug 12, 2018 11:54 pm

Tijny wrote:Hmm, I just thought of a project that might not actually be completely impossible: take a track and a path that needs to be followed, and programmatically generate the AI data given a particular car's properties. Hmm²....

Ah, somekind of a "reference path", I see?

Tijny

PostMon Aug 13, 2018 2:46 am

Whiplash wrote:Sounds sick. But, lines should also be variated.

Well, if you can generate 1 lap then you will also be able to generate 20 different ones.

Rendy Andrian wrote:

Ah, somekind of a "reference path", I see?

I think it would just be a list of point pairs that the car would have to go between. In theory it could also be done using just the track's control points, which would help automation a lot but would be more difficult to implement and less efficient at runtime. But it's just a crazy idea, I'm never going to be able to do it. It's fun to speculate, though. :)

Return to Suggestions